Certified Death certificates can be obtained from two sources:
- Online From the West Virginia State Registrar’s office (click here).
- In Person by visiting the Berkeley County Clerk's Office at 100 West King Street, Martinsburg, WV 25401. For Directions click here.
In terms of obtaining vital records, West Virginia is not an "open record" state.
The people who may obtain a Death certificate are:
- The Parents and Grandparents of Person on the Certificate
- The Wife or Husband of the Person on the Certificate
- The Children and Grandchildren of the Person on the Certificate
- The Brothers or Sisters
- Funeral Director
- Anyone who has Legal interest in the Certificate
How Much Does it Cost? The fee to obtain the death certificate is $5.00 per copy. We accept cash, credit/debit cards and money orders. Money Ordersmay be made out to the Berkeley County Clerk.
What methods are available for me to obtain a death certificate? Currently, two (2) methods are available; In Person and Mail/Postal Service.
In Person. This method is the most expedient manner in which to obtain a copy. Please allow for at least fifteen minutes, even though most requests are completed much quicker.
Mail/Postal Service. Ordering by mail is the slowest method to obtain a certificate. Total time consists of processing time and transit time. Processing time is the time it takes our office to enter your order into our computer system, make and mail the certificate to you. Transit time is the time it takes the Post Office to deliver the mail.
- Processing time is usually about one business day, but can change depending upon staffing and order volume.
- Transit time can vary greatly. If mailed within the State of West Virginia, the mail usually takes one to three days to arrive. We suggest that you allow the Post Office five to seven days for delivery.
- Total time is the time it takes from when you mail the request until you receive the certificate. Total time can be as short as five business days, to 19 business days or longer.
To submit an Application for a Death Certificate click here.