Berkeley County Deputy Sheriff Application Process
Currently, we are not accepting applications. However, you may stop by our office and place your name on an application waiting list. By placing your name on the application waiting list our office will contact you when we publicize our next hiring open application opportunity.
Current salary is as follows:
- Entry Level: $34,500
- Completion of Academy or hired with a West Virginia law enforcement certification: $37,540
- Completion of Training & 1 Year Probation: $39,608
In order to submit an application when the time comes, all applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Must be between 18 and 45 years of age (WV Code).
- Excellent health (standard weight in proportion to height).
- No police or criminal record.
- Must successfully pass all examinations administered by the Civil Service Commission.
- Must be willing to be subject to further examinations throughout the hiring process.
- Be available to attend all training as required by the position.
- Possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must pass fitness standards for acceptance to the police academy.
- Must successfully pass a physical agility test to be scheduled and administered by the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department. NOTE: The following are the agility test standards that must be met regardless of age:
- Sit ups: 28 in one minute
- Push ups: 18 in a minute
- Run - 1 ½ miles: completed in 14 minutes and 36 seconds or less.
- Must be willing to be assigned to special assignment positions which include K-9 Deputy, Court Security, School Resource Officer and all other duties assigned by the Sheriff of Berkeley County.
- Once hired, deputies will receive a take home vehicle only if they live in West Virginia and within a 30 mile radius of the Berkeley County Courthouse.