Berkeley County Deputy Sheriff Application Process
Applications for Deputy Sheriff of Berkeley County are now being accepted. Applications must be obtained in person Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm at the Berkeley County Clerk’s Office located in the Historic Berkeley County Courthouse, 100 W. King St., Martinsburg, WV. Applications must be completed and returned to the Berkeley County Clerk’s Office no later Monday, October 2nd, 2017. The date of the Civil Service Examination will be announced at a later time.
Current salary is as follows:
- $35,535 upon entry/start
- $38,660 upon completion of the Academy or Already having a WV State Certification
- $40,796 after completing probationary period and required training
When time comes to submit an application, all applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be between 18 and 45 years of age (WV Code)
- Must possess (at a minimum) a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be in excellent health (standard weight in proportion to height)
- No police or criminal record
- Must successfully pass all examinations administered by the Civil Service Commission
- Must successfully pass a physical agility test. NOTE: The following are the agility test standards that must be met regardless of age:
- Sit ups: 28 in one (1) minute
- Push ups: 18 in a minute
- Run: 1 ½ miles, completed in 14:36
- Must be willing to submit to further examinations throughout the hiring process such as a Physiological evaluation and Polygraph exam
- Must pass fitness standards for acceptance to the police academy
- Must successfully pass a medical examination
- Must attend and successfully complete all training as required by the position
- Must be willing to accept duty assignments, which may include but is not limited to, K-9 Deputy, Court Security, School Resource Officer and all other duties assigned by the Sheriff of Berkeley County.
Once hired, deputies may receive a take home vehicle, if, and ONLY IF, they live within a 25 mile radius of the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department.
Berkeley County provides a comprehensive benefits package equal to approximately 50%-55% of gross pay, which includes hospital and medical insurance, prescription drug coverage, life insurance, dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
Berkeley County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.